"Construction crews have been working around the clock this Labor Day weekend to re-open the Bay Bridge. Unfortunately, due to a crack revealed during an inspection of the Eastern Span the bridge will remain closed on Tuesday while work is completed to ensure its safety
," said Mayor Gavin Newsom. "Commuters are encouraged to take public transit, stay home or, if they must drive, build in extra time for expected traffic delays. The City will continue to monitor the situation. Updated information is available on 511.org or by calling 511."
San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA
) and San Francisco Police Department enforcement personnel will be deployed in the South of Market area to assist in detouring around the ramp closures.During the extended closure, the public is encouraged to take public transit and alternate driving routes
- Motorists can use alternate bridges: Golden Gate Bridge, Richmond-San Rafael Bridge, San Mateo-Hayward Bridge and the Dumbarton Bridge.
- BART will run expanded commute service on Tuesday with longer trains when available, but will not run overnight service between 1 a.m. and 4 a.m. early Tuesday morning.
- Muni Owl service operates from approximately 1 until 5 a.m., each morning at 30-minute intervals on most lines.
- AC Transit will pick up and drop off its passengers heading to and from San Francisco at four BART stations: Coliseum/Oakland Airport, MacArthur, North Berkeley and West Oakland, from Friday through Monday.
- The Golden Gate, Vallejo Baylink and Alameda/Oakland ferries will run extra service on Tuesday. The Alameda Harbor Bay ferry will add extra trips on Tuesday.
The latest information on transportation alternatives are at http://www.511.org
Details of the closure and construction can be found at: http://www.baybridgeinfo.org